Acer Iconia W3 driver issues after Windows 8.1 solution

eddieDOTexe
eddieDOTexe Member Posts: 10 New User
Seeing as how this is apparently going to be a widespread issue, if you're having any driver issues after you update to Windows 8.1 (most notably video driver issues), then give this driver package a try.
http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/Others/Others_Acer_1.01_W8x86_A.zip?acerid=635164508727475738&Step1=TABLET&Step2=ICONIA%20W&Step3=W3-810&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

I work at an office supply retail chain specializing in staples, and our Iconia W3 demo started flickering animations after I updated it to 8.1 earlier this month. I thought nothing of it and guessed it was a issue with this particular unit. But apparently not now that its out for the public. Cheers!

Answers

• morrislee
    morrislee Member Posts: 10 New User

I have actually just figured it out and about to post here. the one you have in store probably does not have a "driver" that is why it was flickeringg and the overall UI is slow. when you connect to the internet, it updates to 9.14.3.1170 which causes a lot of driver stopped working warnings. 

I have reverted back to the 9.14.3.1158 (one from acer direcly before 8.1 was released) and after that works well.

HOWEVER, windows 8.1 kept on updating it back to 9.14.3.1170 as soon as it sees network availability, so I rolled back. all seems to be working now. (Fingers crossed)

• alicepattinson
    alicepattinson Member Posts: 160 Troubleshooter

I agree with @morrislee

Maybe the drives are not complete that's why you're having so much trouble! try to check again

• morrislee

Fought with it for hours, the driver from acer causes the "Change PC" part's text all masked, using the one from lenovo here works fine:

http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/ivga135w81.exe

that one is 9.14.3.1160

Micro HDMI works

Scaling works

For some odd reason, "Reading List" isnt working for me, not sure if it is the driver. Office 2013 working fine though.

• aleunge
    aleunge Member Posts: 51 Troubleshooter

the 1.01 acer driver package worked great in 8.1 here. no problems so far.

and will stay away from the intel graphics driver from windows update then!

• satphonebrad
    satphonebrad Member Posts: 2 New User

Not sure If I'm just lucky but from reviewing the driver version on my W3..  Following my steps from my posting earlier of going to device manager, opening the video driver, uninstalling and checking Delete, waiting a few sec, hit refresh on device manager, it will then show Microsoft Basic driver, open it up and tell it to update and have it search online, it will install driver.  Mine installed 9.14.3.1170 with zero issues and i have had no display driver problems for last 24 hours at all.

Hope that helps someone.

Brad.

• aleunge

Like the poster above, I also got the "blocked out"/bars in PC Settings menu and Search Charm issue after a little while with the Acer 1.01 drivers... so now I'm running the 1170 version after an uninstalling of the video adapter driver (and deleting driver then letting Windows find the most updated driver).  Everything seems to run ok except waking up takes a few more seconds now and I'm not sure if it still has the connected standby mode anymore since not all of my emails synced overnight.  Anyone else with issues?

• morrislee

use this one I have posted above:

http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/ivga135w81.exe

1160, should fix the blocked out text and the delay in waking up device (the delay is caused by driver stopped working and restarting)

Only issue with 1160 so far is that using HDMI will still cause delay in waking up device

• aleunge

thanks, morrislee. i'll give that driver a try when i can't stand this one... i'm hoping there will be an update soon from acer or even MS.

• mrpaul101
    mrpaul101 Member Posts: 2 New User

That really works, the driver that put on "morrislee" help me with the same trouble. After windows 8.1 up grade, after blocked out show me a kernel trouble and delay in waking up. I haven't prove hdmi, but everything else works fine. Give it a chance to lenovo Smiley Happy (1160)

• eddieDOTexe
    So this little model has been quite a nuisance hasn't it?
  • mrpaul101
    mrpaul101 Member Posts: 2 New User

everything was perfect before w8.1 upgrade, but now is solution (parcial=lenovo)

• aleunge

Hey guys! New set of drivers (V2.0 from Acer is out!  The package includes graphics driver so hopefully issues have been fixed after our 8.1 update!  Just downloaded and installed and will report back if things are good.  So far, I notice video driver is a 9.14.3.1170 variant and in the package, there are lots of different drivers but it is still a smaller package (fixes?).

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/Others/Others_Acer_2.0_W8x86W81x64_A.zip?acerid=635176710277887401&Step1=TABLET&Step2=ICONIA W&Step3=W3-810&OS=8P2&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

Also, just noticed that there are 64 bit drivers for the W3... did anyone notice them there before?  Nice to have an option to run 64 in the future.

• morrislee

That is the same driver version as the one that came with Windows 8.1 (and I have already tried it, issue is still there)

• sandgorgon
    sandgorgon Member Posts: 6 New User

Props to morrislee...you suggestion of using the Lenovo one was spot on for me. I have been wrestling with this issue for most of the day! I did NOT USE the Other_acer_2.0_W8x86W81x64_A because it did not work for me - I still had the display driver issues with it.

What worked for me are the following steps:

After the Windows 8.1 update, I did the following things:

From the W3, I opened a browser and grabbed the following things:

- Other_Acer_1.01_W8x86A.zip (from Acer's support page)

- ivga135w81 (from Lenovo, the URL as suggested by morrislee)

- Went to the Desktop

- Win-Break (to pop up the System Properties)

- Clicked on the 'Hardware' tab

- Clicked on 'Device Installation Settings'

- Choose 'No, let me choose  what to do'

- Chose 'Never install driver software from Windows Update

- 'Automatically get the device app and info provided by your device manufacturer' was left enabled.

- Clicked on 'Save Changes'

I did the steps above to stop the OS from trying to update to the latest Intel graphics driver - atleast for now until we get a better driver from Acer (cough, cough) or something better than the current one available from Windows Update.

- Clicked on Device Manager

- Selected Display adapters

- Uninstalled the Intel Graphics thing

- Enable the deletion of related files in the dialog box

- Clicked Okay

- Waited a bit

- Unzipped Other_Acer_1.01_...   and ran the set-up

- Ran through the prompts and restarted

- After W3 was back-up, went to the Desktop

- Ran the Lenovo ivga135w81 installer

- Ran through the prompts and restarted

- and I was good.

Everything was working fine for me, no UI issues, no delays on wake and so on, no display driver failure stuff...<sigh of relief>.

Thanks morrislee!

• aleunge
    I think it might be better if you install 1.01 drivers first, then the 2.0 drivers, and then morrislee's awesome fixer upper video driver. Afaik, the 2.0 drivers include more than just video drivers so you would want to have your other devices running on newest "approved" Acer drivers. For example, I know my Bluetooth driver was downgraded after the 2.0 package (from the windows update Bluetooth drivers to Acer's).
  • sandgorgon

Hmmm. I'll try that right now! I'll get back to you guys if it works well.

• sandgorgon

As per aleunge's suggestion, I went and performed the following additional things:

- unzipped Others_Acer_2.0_W8x86W81x64.zip

- ran the setup

- ran through the prompts and restarted as advised

After restart,

- went to my Desktop

- Opened Device Manager

- Went tothe Display Adapter and Rolled back the Display Adapter

- I restarted as prompted.

After restart,

- went back to the Desktop and Device Manager

- opened the Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel

- went to Options

- verified that I was running 9.14.3.1160.

Everything looks to be working pretty well!

Thanks for the suggestion aleunge.

• pwjohnson82
    pwjohnson82 Member Posts: 1 New User

I am new to this forum, but have had the same graphics driver issue after updating to Windows 8.1.  Following the advice of morrisleealeunge, and sandorgon, moving the driver to 9.14.3.1160, the issue seems to be resolved. Thanks!

I will update if I run into any glitches. 

• eddieDOTexe

Yup, got my tablet back and updated to 8.1, and was having the same issue. That Lenovo driver solved my issue! Thanks!

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Just out of curiosity, say if your W3 or W510 is working or not and if you have these files:

Directory of C:\Windows\System32\Drivers

09/11/2013  09:23 PM           405,504  igddim32.sys
    09/11/2013  09:23 PM        1,012,736  igdkmd32.sys
    09/11/2013  09:23 PM               4,096 igdperf32.sys

This discussion has been closed.