Acer Aspire XC605 Windows 8 to 8.1; Won't boot properly?

Stellaluna
Stellaluna Member Posts: 2 New User

Hey

I received my Acer Aspire XC605 yesterday in the mail and started using it today. I downloaded a bunch of updates and restarted the system after which I decided to update to 8.1 through the store. 

I restarted my computer again and now it won't boot; I get the Acer logo with the loading dots below it and then a black screen with just the mouse cursor (sometimes not even that). I've tried going to safe mode, but F8 (or any other commands suggested) won't work - I think that is due to the computer starting up too quickly for it to detect the command?

Is there something I could do to revert the changes or fix the issue (I didn't even make discs or something to revert the changes from and I don't know anyone with a working Windows 8) or should I have someone (Acer or an IT store) do a clean instal of Windows 8 (or some IT magic on it)? As the computer came with Windows 8 I don't have discs for installing it.

Best Answer

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

Hi Stellaluna

As you restart your PC, hold down ALT & continually tap F10 - this should take your PC into the eRecovery mode. It will then allow you to reinstall Windows 8 from your recovery partition.

As soon as you're back up & running, burn your recovery disks - you will need these if the hard drive ever fails!

And hold off of Windows 8.1, (at least for now).  Microsoft made some changes that means it is not compatible with all hardware.

Hope this helps!

Answers

• finlux
    Answer ✓

Hi Stellaluna

As you restart your PC, hold down ALT & continually tap F10 - this should take your PC into the eRecovery mode. It will then allow you to reinstall Windows 8 from your recovery partition.

As soon as you're back up & running, burn your recovery disks - you will need these if the hard drive ever fails!

And hold off of Windows 8.1, (at least for now).  Microsoft made some changes that means it is not compatible with all hardware.

Hope this helps!

• Stellaluna
    Stellaluna Member Posts: 2 New User

Thank you! I got my computer back up and I will not be touching 8.1 until they've fixed it properly Smiley Happy

• finlux

Great!

Glad you're now fixed Smiley Happy

• kcjazzy
    kcjazzy Member Posts: 1 New User
    You are a total life saver or at least Christmas holiday computer saver. Thanks for the tip. I was going crazySmiley Wink
  • finlux

Glad to be of help! Smiley Happy

This discussion has been closed.