Acer Aspire 5742. shut down exactly 5 seconds into power up

Barna75
Barna75 Member Posts: 3 New User
My aspire 5742 is approximately two yeras old. I got a blue screen error recently which forced a reset. Now,ever since then, on power up the laptop simply shuts off after exactly 5 seconds. It then restarts and shuts off again and again. The only way to stop this is to remove the mains power and battery.

I managed to enter BIOS by accident once, but I cannot do it again. I press f2on start up, and the laptop reads please wait....and then shuts down after 5 seconds.

Any help much appreciated

Answers

• Barna75
    I should mention this is not a power issue. The problem persists with or without the batteryattached .
  • dgsand
    dgsand Member Posts: 1 New User

I also have the same problem with my aspire, it is also 2 years old. I found that if I let it run continuously it eventually turns on and runs normally. If I leave it on it sometimes shuts down automatically, and if I turn it on sleep or hibernate, it shuts down again and I have to start the process over again. Since my computer is out of warrranty I can expect no help from ACER on this I finally bought a new computer, hopefully this one lasts longer than the Aspire 5742.

Doug

• Barna75
    Hi Doug,

So if you left it on with the shut down/restart cycle looping every five seconds, how many iterations did it take for windows to actually boot?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.