Acer Aspire 5552 Black Screen

brickman619
brickman619 Member Posts: 5 New User
Hello. When I go to turn on my Acer Aspire 5552 laptop (not 5552g) the power light comes on as well as the screen indicator light. But the screen is black (not even the backlog comes on) and neither the hard drive light, or the wireless light come on. I can put a disk in and it will spin, the fans are all on, and the hard drive is spinning. It's 2 years old and no drops or anything. Please help!

Answers

• brickman619
    Sorry, backlight
  • JayMor81
    JayMor81 Member Posts: 17 New User

I hate to reply to a question with questions, however in this situation I have to.

- Can you see anything at all on the screen when unit is powering up (Acer logo, etc.)?

- Have you tried connecting the unit through an external video source (VGA or HDMI)? If so, does it work on the external display device?

- On the said black screen, can you see either a cursor or mouse arrow?

- If you look at the screen, while the unit is on, in direct light (ie: sunlight) and on an angle, can you see a shadowy remenant of the picture that should be there?

If no to all except first and last questions , try doing a system power drain. Remove battery and charger. While removed, push and hold the unit power button for approx. 40 seconds. When time has lapsed, either reinsert battery or reconnect charger and power on unit.

If yes to first question, try doing a system recovery. On system startup, press and hold "ALT" and press repeatedly on "F10" until you see a message saying "Windows is Loading Files" and relese keys. Within Acer Recovery Management, choose either "Reset to Factory Default Settings" or "Reset to Factory Default Settings While Maintaining User Data". After the recovery, issue should be resolved.

In order to see if the backlight is truely coming on, you would have to look at display from angle, as mentioned in last question.

If issue is persistant, you can contact Acer Support for further out of warranty options, or bring the system to a local tech for further assistance.

Hope this helps.

• brickman619
    Thanks so much, but my answer to all of those questions is no. I can't see anything at all. I did look and it would be 250$ to fix and acer doesn't even know what's wrong. Id like to try and fix it myself.
  • brickman619
    Could it be the motherboard?
  • Spudster
    Spudster Member Posts: 47 New User

It could be the motherboard or Video Card?

Have to tried connecting to A external monitor?

• brickman619
    Please close this post. I'm pretty sure I have resolved. I'm replacing the motherboard.
This discussion has been closed.