Acer A501 Iconia Tab

NolaGB
NolaGB Member Posts: 5 New User

I have the Iconia Tab A501 tablet and have been watching for the ICS update, but see nothing about a possible date for release.  Will the ICS update be released for my tablet??

Thank you

Answers

• DeanoD
    DeanoD Member Posts: 7 New User

Yes, I am also interested in finding out once and for all if we have been totally abandoned.  No matter where I look, the signs point to the apparent fact that Acer HAS abandoned all support for their Acer Android products, particularly the Acer Iconia Tab a501 models.  While the earlier model has gotten some support, our LATER model does not even FLY on the Acer radar.  We get feedback like "no upgrades planned" which, for me is odd, because both the seller and the service provider for my unit "promised" that there would definitely be an upgrade to Android 4, ICS.  And, oddly enough it seems that ONLY North Americans that speak English are out of the loop.  So,  WHY would they get an upgrade in say, Australia, and not here?   A straight answer before we "vote with our feet AND wallets" would be nice.  And I PRAY that it ISN'T because you think we are stupid enough to do it again.  Anybody??   ;-Deano

• NolaGB

Yep ... I've been finding the very same thing.  Well ... IF Acer has, in fact, abandoned we A501s, I'm through.  I'm presently looking at the new Samsung tablet (really nice) and it comes with Jellybean already on it.  I don't want to switch, but if Acer doesn't want to play fair, then ... my wallet and I go elsewhere.

• NolaGB

I've not been able to learn anything new about my Acer tablet other than if I pay a fee, they will tell me that ICS is not going to be released for this model.  Uh, no ... I'm not paying a fee to learn what they've already told me by offering no response.  We were poised to purchase 3 Acer laptops and another tablet until now.  With this type of customer support, Acer won't be under our roofs.  Too bad ... they had a good reputation on until recently.  So, I'm through and moving on to Samsung.

• siins
    siins Member Posts: 9 New User
    I have called Acer support on the phone and I have spoke with there tech online .. I was told that Acer does not have any updates nor are there gonna be any updates for the a501 they told me it was because they can't seem to figure out how to write the update due to the 3g that is in the a501.. I know that Thor who is a 15 year old kid has a working update for the a501 from honeycomb to ice cream sandwich and he also has one for jellybean with all functions working including the 3g http://www.tegraowners.com/?s=iconia+a501 just search the forums.. I know myself I'm giving this a501 to my kid and buying the Asus tf700 I will not buy Acer again

• kiwipeso
    kiwipeso Member Posts: 82

Tinkerer

It's more of a problem with your telco dragging the chain on approving ICS.

• GrahamS
    GrahamS Member Posts: 2 New User

I recently bought one. It came with Android 3.6. I sent a support question to Acer and within a week was sent the upgrade to Android 4. No complaints. It is a great machine. I have downloaded the paid version of QuickOffice HD Pro and results are good.

I am using a Virgin sim card for my 3G and could not get it to work. A call to the Virgin customer service line in Australia had them lead me throgh the process step by step in a fe minutes. Great service.

HOWEVER, I cannot find an app to play WMV files. I have bought form the app store Buzz player on the grounds that it would play wmv files. WELL its doesn't. The sound plays but there is no video. I also can't watch news clips and some you tube videos. I get the message that I don't have flash player installed.  I have also tried VPLAYER  free version and MediaPlayer. No go on all fronts. 

Can anyone advise what I can do re the WMV files and the Adobe Flash files

• GrahamS
    GrahamS Member Posts: 2 New User

Acer will sort it ourt for you

• kiwipeso
    kiwipeso Member Posts: 82

Tinkerer

VLC is a free media player that handles everything as far as video and audio files go.

Adobe flash 11 may still be offered in the play store if you are lucky, however it will not have any further updates.

This discussion has been closed.