Acer 5820T Install New Hard Drive With Recovery DVDs

davehygeia
davehygeia Member Posts: 8 New User

Newbie here. So the hard drive died. Windows Emergency Recovery disk won't fix it. Runs for days repairing disk errors. So I bought a new disk and put it in the laptop. Problem is the Recovery dvds I made when the pc was new won't work. The options to reinstall windows are greyed out. Please let me know if there's a way to fix this. Thanks.

Answers

• suniljp
    suniljp Member Posts: 166 Troubleshooter

Newbie, format the HDD with any third party software (they can be downloaded from any HDD manufacturer website) then try to install the recovery disk. Also check if the new HDD you install is listed in BIOS.

• davehygeia

Thanks for the reply. Tried that with Seagate's bootable CD for installing new hard drives. Went through the MBR format procedure on the disk, then tried to load the recovery DVD's but the option to actually reload windows to the new hard drive is still greyed out. For fun I downloaded Linux Mint 14.1 and it loaded perfectly (typing on it right now) but I would prefer this laptop to have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit like it did before. Is there any way to do that, other than buy a new copy of Windows? Thanks.

• suniljp

Which file format is the HDD(FAT32 or NTFS). Is there any partition made in the new HDD?

• davehygeia

The Seagate bootable installation CD doesn't specify a file system - fat 32 or NTFS. Is there a bootable CD that can be downloaded so I can format and partition the new hard drive to use these erecovery DVD's? Thanks.

• suniljp

If possible connect the HDD to a windows PC and format it to NTFS.

• davehygeia

Not possible. My Windows pc is the one I'm trying to fix. Is there a bootable CD that I can download to format and partition the disk in this laptop to make the erecovery dvds work? Thanks.

• suniljp

try PQ magic dos version

• davehygeia

Can't seem to find that program. Is is Partition Magic?

• suniljp

Yes, use the dos bootable version.

• davehygeia

Looks like a $70 program. I'm not going to start sinking $$ into this laptop. Linux Mint works great for now. Acer should look into making a more complete recovery solution other than dvd's that don't work with a new hard drive. Seems kinda lame.

• davehygeia

Well, here's an update: I downloaded a free bootable CD called Gparted for formatting and partitioning the new hard drive. It worked like a charm in NTFS formatting. The erecovery dvds, however, still do not work. The option to actually install Windows 7 back onto the laptop is still greyed out. Acer sure has put the "disaster" into their disaster recovery system. Could they have put more guesswork and non-functionality into their erecovery dvd's? Trying Ubuntu 12.04 on this laptop right now until I can find a solution. Thanks Acer!

• davehygeia

First, thanks to all here for the expert help. The solution to this problem? Throw away the worthless Acer erecovery dvds, download a Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit iso disk image from Microsoft http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-58997.iso, burn it to dvd, install on computer. Now here's the tricky part, use the product key on the sticker on the bottom of the laptop. You may be prompted to phone Microsoft support to properly activate your copy of Windows 7 on your machine but the call lasts about 10 minutes. Thats it! And a big bonus - no Acer bloatware!

This discussion has been closed.