Cracked screen

Roy
Roy Member Posts: 6 New User

Hi all,

well I've managed to crack the screen on my A110 and acer are quoting £55 just to look at it.  The tab is working fine other than the crack so the money will get me the postage and some bloke in plymouth opening the box switching it on and saying "oh dear the screen is cracked" which seems a bit steep to me.

With the assesment fee being so extortionate I think the quote to replace the screen will make repair uneconimical and it will be time to order a nexus 7, kindle fire, galaxy tab, basically any of the other tabs I could have bought instead of this one.

I have asked for the price of a screen and may try replacing it myself, has any of you ever tried this? I have seen a video on youtube with a w500 screen being done and it looks ok, I do have the case opener and screwdriver etc required.

Roy

Answers

• Tabbiekatz
    Tabbiekatz Member Posts: 760 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Only 55 Pounds? I got my screen replaced here in the US and they charged me over 200 dollars! Take the repair!

• Joshua188
    Joshua188 Member Posts: 523 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Hello Roy, I can of course not say for sure about the warranty or how they repair units in the UK but for around 55 pounds is not bad at all for a repair amount but i would not think that an Acer repair depot would charge you just to look at the unit. I would think they quoted you the repair cost of the unit. In the US there is only a charge for out of warranty repairs never just a charge to look and then another charge to repair.

• Roy

Hi Tabbiekatz,

$200!!!!! Thats about £125, mad money just to change a screen.  The £55 I mentioned is just to look at it and doesn't include the repair and if they are going to charge me what they are charged you I will rather buy a new tablet from another company.

The one saving grace is that it does have hdmi out and the camera still works so I will be able to set it up as a webcam or maybe some kind of htpc serving files from my network to my bedroom tv and use my GS2 as a remote.

Roy

• Roy

Hi Joshua188,

the repair is a non warrenty repair as I dropped it 2 days after getting it and chipped the corner of the case, it has been working fine for over 2 months since then until a couple of days ago when I took it out of it's sleeve and the screen was cracked.  The crack could be a fault with the screen or I may have weakened it when I dropped it, either way with the chip on the case I am sure it will be seen as accidental damage by me. 

I have sent 2 emails asking about the £55 fee and I'm pretty sure it just to look at it, I would have been delighted if I could have got it fixed for £55, I have asked for the price of a screen for me to fit myself and would expect that to cost £60 up.

Roy

• Roy

Hi All,

well just got the new screen quote from acer, £213.68!!!! Having said that I would get a £50 refund if I send the old one back, so that's alright then, lol.

Just worked out that acer is an acronym

A

Crippingly

Expensive

Repair

Roy

This discussion has been closed.