Can I format my Acer W700 without The Discs?

sopaj96
sopaj96 Member Posts: 154 Troubleshooter

Title says it all, I dont have an external drive so I thought if I put the discs that came in the box in my desktop and move the content to a usb can I then format/restore that way? Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

Answers

• cyberanto
    cyberanto Member Posts: 6 New User

Have not tried it, but this article should help:

http://redmondmag.com/articles/2011/12/02/making-a-usb-flash-drive-bootable.aspx

there are options for boot as HD from USB, and boot as CD-ROM from USB in the boot order in the bios

• sopaj96

Well I dont want to boot, just format from the usb :/ Or is there any other options for restoring everything on my tablet?

• LJH08
    LJH08 Member Posts: 50

Tinkerer

Swip from right. settings. pc settings. General. at the bottom has Remove everything and reinstall windows.

Not sure if this requires CD's or not... not gonna press it on mine LOL.

But what I think that he's getting at is you could use another computer, make a bootable flash drive OS .. and then copy an image of the CD onto the flash drive storage?  Change the boot order in the tablet ... boot off of the flash drive and then rerun OS installation from the CD image. Assuming you could get it to mount as a virtual CD. and make an image in the first place. 

Been looking into stuff similar to that myself but haven't gotten anywhere yet... just an idea to google about...

Hope this might help a bit.

• LJH08
    LJH08 Member Posts: 50

Tinkerer

Er.. wasn't thinking at first... you should be able to use the CD to make a OS booting Flash drive.. which is what I think he actually means... basically converting a flash drive into a device that does the same thing as the CD...

CD on flash drive basically.   Can't simply copy paste and have it boot though.

So gotta make a USB bootable recovery media from CD ... then boot into USB device from the w700

Alterately you can probably install a full OS on the flash drive like i first said and then a virtual image of the CD.. but thats stupid really when you only want to restore the device. 

If that settings menu option doesn't work then a bootable flash drive is probably your best if not only option.

• sopaj96

I dont have external disc reader so I want to put the disc in my laptop then "take" all the things from the disc and put it in my usb and then stick the usb in my tablet and restore...

• mic
    mic Member Posts: 22 New User

can you test it to see if it works? (basically copy and paste file on dvd to usb). if not could you try the threads below

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/12559-cant-find-option-burn-iso-disk.html#post138356 

look for post #4 . use prog esd-to-iso.   or

create bootable usb for uefi

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html 

another tool

http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&global=1&q=windows+8&offset=72#/d4tus5n

of course you need to change boot order usb hdd and usb cdrom to first in bios if you haven't already

• sopaj96

there are four discs I need so I need to make sure it can workmwith all of them, I dont want a half recovery :/ If you can tell me excactly what to do then I will test it out Smiley Happy

• mic
    mic Member Posts: 22 New User

i would test this to see if it works

1.make a usb bootable (using command lisk disk, diskpart.....) try format it fat32

2.copy all 4 dvd on to it

3.change boot setting order to usb hdd, usb cdrom in bios and while you there, create pass for superuser so you can disable secure boot.

4.plug in usb just create and boot from it to see if it works. if it does, expect 2hrs long process

re-enable secure boot back if you want after succesful boot from usb.

This discussion has been closed.