Acer W700 started to throttle after 5 days...

sopaj96
sopaj96 Member Posts: 154 Troubleshooter

I got my W700 this friday... it has been running flawlessly ever since...but yesterday when I started up skyrim I noticed that it didnt run smooth at all...I started fraps to see my fps and it looses about 10fps Smiley Surprised and can now say that it is caused by throttling but why now? I updated my tablet 2days ago and I think that can bee the problem... can throttle be caused by windows upadate? If it can I will gladly restore my tablet to factory settings and see if it is that...

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

Answers

• Walder
    Walder Member Posts: 61

Tinkerer

Wouldnt be the first time an update actually did more harm than good, for example in the asus tf300 the last update lagged the sh1t out of it. But the only way to know is to ask other owners if they also updated and felt the thrtling afterwards.

• sopaj96

hmmm :/ But what other reason can it possibly be? I mean it didnt throttle first but noe all of a sudden...the only thing I can think of is that a windows update did it :/

• Walder

Tinkerer

I would actually like to see these w8 tablets with fresh OS install to see if the throtling becomes an issue again i bet that OS is all screwed up, could be wrong thought.

• sopaj96

okay so if I go to settings and then reinstall windows 8 that way (I dont have external drive so I cant use the discs) will it be fully reinstalled? All updates gone and so on? Oh and if I reinstall that way will w8 be activated?

If this works then I can try it out to see if it is the updates that makes it throttle...

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Does any of the tablet feel hot ? Throttling could be thermal related.

• sopaj96

yes it is hot but it is just as hit has two days ago when playing the exact same game with the same specs..

• cylemmulo
    cylemmulo Member Posts: 54

Tinkerer

try disableing all your startup items and check, might be something installed screwing things up.

• sopaj96
    Dont think it helps, the device is throttling and Im sure that some updates are behind it
  • ponyman
    ponyman Member Posts: 1 New User

Might be worth doing a scan for viruses.

• sopaj96
    Well then everyone has a virus if thats the case Cuz I am not the only one with the thorttling issue
  • Walder

Tinkerer

Ill be waiting for some1 who manages to do a fresh install to see if this disappears.

• sopaj96

I was just going to do that but it doesnt work without the discs...the restore thing in windows doesnt work...

• Walder

Tinkerer

Did anyone actually tried to plugin and external dvd reader and try to install from a w8 disk? or even an usb install?

• loadinglevelone
    loadinglevelone Member Posts: 20 New User

There's a long W700 throttling thread here: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/acer-gateway/54122-w700-throttling.html

So far... no solution.

• Walder

Tinkerer

Thanks for the share ill see the link.

Edit - seems like they arent getting any luck with this, last reply was from 25-12 hopefully unclewebb app will be able to find a solution but seems unlikly either way ill wait and see.

• BenjaminLSR
    BenjaminLSR Member Posts: 20 Networker

Walder wrote:

Thanks for the share ill see the link.

Edit - seems like they arent getting any luck with this, last reply was from 25-12 hopefully unclewebb app will be able to find a solution but seems unlikly either way ill wait and see.

I am throttlestop VALKIRIE ^^

• Walder

Tinkerer

Oh ^^ so we can only wait right about now right? **bleep** if only this throttling issue was fixed... i wish some1 managed to do a clean install of the OS and see if the issues would continue, cause its very odd that some people report the 1st days with the tablet without problems...

• sopaj96
    I contacted acer to get an answer of this throttle issue and it can be fixed! To bad I dont have an external dvd reader cuz if I had I would try :/ oh an by the wat, the driver was corrupt thats why this happens( so I was right about it happening through updates)...
  • Walder

Tinkerer

Benjamin already did the recovery, still throttling.

This discussion has been closed.