Windows 10 Anniversary and Aspire Z3-605

HHflier
HHflier Member Posts: 8 New User
edited March 1 in 2018 Archives

Does anyone know why a Z3-605 cannot update Windows 10 to the Anniversary edition?

Answers

• Karp-Acer_Retired
    Karp-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 2,599 Guru

Your system may require additional software, firmware, and/or a BIOS update to install and run Windows 10. Please note not all Windows 10 features may be available on all Windows 8.1 PCs. See the following qualifying Acer models. Systems not specified won’t be supported for an upgrade to Windows 10 in line with Microsoft’s regulations.For the following supported models, you will be guided through the upgrade process. You can also follow the step-by-step instructions to manually upgrade your device to Windows 10.

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/windows10-eligible-models

Please click link below to any question you might have regarding Windows 10 update.

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/windows10-faqs

minimizar para MAXIMIZAR.

Descubra a mais recente e inovadora tecnologia que chegará no mercado, next@acer.
  • HHflier

The links in your reply refer to Windows 10 which my Z3-605 already.  My question was about updating Windows 10 to Windows 10 Anniversary edition version 1607). 

• Karp-Acer_Retired
    Karp-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 2,599 Guru

I apologize, here is what you can do when encountering problems downloading and installing the Windows 10 anniversary update, you download and manually install the update

http://acer-my.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/42612/~/problems-installing-windows-10-anniversary-update

minimizar para MAXIMIZAR.

Descubra a mais recente e inovadora tecnologia que chegará no mercado, next@acer.
  • HHflier

Thank you.  I have tried that process and the update stalls at 71%.  Microsoft support also tried with a download of the ISO disk image file but that stalled at the same place.  I then checked the Acer website and the Z3-605 does not appear in the Anniversary update list.  However I saw in the laptop section of the community that although the V3-571 does not appear in the Anniversary compatible list, DaisyDuck99 has managed to install the update successfully.  So the list is not prescriptive.

• Snuffy
    Snuffy Member Posts: 150 Fixer WiFi Icon
    several things might help. and it depends also just how good you are on some techy stuff. All this is Approved by MS, to beta testers. (It does nothing to harm you system), it simple #1, removes all the UPDATE info and tells your system its ok to updated... Step 1 Press Windows-R, type services.msc into the Run box, and then click OK to open Windows Update. Step 2 Scroll down the list of services, right-click Windows Update, and then select Stop. Step 3 Open the Run box, type %windir%\SoftwareDistribution, and then click OK to open the Software Distribution folder. Step 4 Double-click the folder labeled DataStore. Step 5 (you can delete all entries) or you can make a new Folder (OLD) then move all the files/folder to it. Step 6 Open the Services applet, right-click Windows Update, and then select Start to restart the Windows Update service. Step 7 Restart then attempt to do the WUA. this fixes over 99% of failed to upgrade.
  • Hercboy66
    Hercboy66 Member Posts: 4 New User
    I have the same computer and the same problems. Acer customer support has been so terrible they have ensured I will never purchase an Acer product again. That however doesn't help my current predicament. Has anyone managed to update their Z3-605 since the anniversary update? Now windows forces the computer to update even though i have it set to manual permission!?
  • Hercboy66
    Hercboy66 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Ive seen a BIOS update available for the Z3-605 on the ACER website, but again, the customer support provide zero help regarding the advice on actually using it. Its like smashing my head against a brick wall trying to get anything useful out of them. Can anybody provide advice on whether a bios update/upgrade might help with the windows updates which now regularly crash my computer?
  • JayNZ
    JayNZ Member Posts: 1 New User
    I realize this is a bit of an old post, and I'm not sure if this is related but I have the same system running windows 10 and ran into problems with updates. I believe the issue (well at least mine are) with the AMD Radeon HD 8600M series drivers. I'm currently running version 1511 OS build 10586.1176 and it's stable but only with AMD Radeon HD 8600M Series Display adapter disabled in Device Manager (windows 10 will not load with the device enabled, and will not complete an update with it enabled or disabled). Interestingly the Previous Build of Windows 10 had no issues with the AMD device, hence why the system was able to upgrade from windows 8.1 to windows 10.

I have not been able to find a driver that solves this issue (from AMD or Acer) so I'm currently running from The Intel HD Graphics 4000 only, which is fine for me as I only really use this system for emails/basic web etc. But the main problem I'm left with is that you don't seem to be able to turn off windows updates so every few days the system reboots and tries to do updates, fails, and then rolls back. 

I have not seen any support info from Acer on this issue either which is disappointing. If they are going to allow their product to be part of the windows 10 update then they should support it with Windows 10 drivers... that work. And for a system that is 4+ years old I don't hold out much hope of a solution for this.

(I did try the latest Bios update but it does not look like it even updated)
  • aingarfield
    aingarfield Member Posts: 1 New User
    They know Acer that this unit Z3-605 graphics driver is not compatible with Windows 10 so it doesn't matter how much you try this machine wont run on Windows 10 but they don't want to tell you that
  • POLATECHS
    POLATECHS Member Posts: 1 New User
    I am in the same boat as JayNZ:

On 1511 the unit runs fine except when it keeps attempting to update (and then roll back)

If i rebuild on 1709 then it works fine until the amd driver installs and then freezes the machine
    If i rebuild on 1803 then it works fine until the amd driver installs and then freezes the machine

If i attempt to disable the amd video controller it still tries to update via windows update.

My next attempt will be to let it install, restart in safe mode and see if i can uninstall the update and then hide it from future updates and then disable the device again.

Any help on this one Acer? Im guessing this is quite a common problem on these units?
  • ETLN01
    ETLN01 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I've been having the same issue as you when installing the AMD driver either through Windows Update or from AMD's website. The solution is to update the Intel driver to the newest version from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28164/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-33-?product=81499 . Once I did that I was able to run the AMD driver.

You may need to remove the Intel driver from uninstall programs if it won't let you upgrade as if you have the Acer driver from Windows 8.1 / 8.0 still installed you can't upgrade without removing first.

If you find that Windows 10 keeps installing the Acer driver through Windows update, download both the AMD and Intel drivers and disconnect your PC from the internet and install, that should stop Windows Update grabbing the driver before you have a chance to install the drivers.