Does any know where I can get Acer H236HL driver for windows 10?

looking4u10013
looking4u10013 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited February 16 in 2019 Archives

I'm using LogMeIn and having trouble installing the "blank Screen" feature (DPMS-enabled monitro driver).  I updated all drivers (video, etc...) except for the monitor.  It is reconized as Generic PNP monitor (DPMS).

Answers

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew

Acer does not offer a specific driver for this monitor. Windows 10 will see it as a generic plug and play device. You might get with the Logmein support to see if they can offer suggestions for their software.

• tachmn
    tachmn Member Posts: 4 New User

When I upgraded to Windows 10 via Windows Update, there was a driver for the monitor. Acer H236HL in Device Manager.

But when I installed Windows from scratch via the Media Creation Tool, Device Manager showed Generic PnP Monitor.

Repeated attempts with Windows Update did not change it. (Windows Update in Windows 7 did have an update for the monitor.)

So I restored a backup to go back to Windows 10 via the upgrade. Poked around in Device Manager and found the driver.

Driver Provider: Acer Incorporated

Driver Date:       7/25/2012

Driver Version:   1.0.0.0

Digital Signer:    Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibilty Publisher

The date and version is identical to Windows 7.

Did some more searching and found two folders:

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\acer h236hl.inf_amd64_eab3244a5cbd0353

C:\Windows.old\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\acer h236hl.inf_amd64_neutral_eab3244a5cbd0353

This is Windows 64 bit.

The first folder was the migrated driver in Windows 10, the second the original driver in Windows 7.

In each directory there were these files:

acer h236hl.PNF

Acer H236HL.cat

Acer H236HL.ICM

acer h236hl.inf

I copied the C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\acer h236hl.inf_amd64_eab3244a5cbd0353 directory to a pen drive. (The Windows 10 version)

In a scratch Windows 10 install where the Acer monitor was Generic PnP, updated the driver in Device Manager and pointed to that directory on the pen drive.

Voila! Device Manager shows Acer H236HL again!

• Penelope1804
    Penelope1804 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi tachmn - I have recently purchased a Dell XPS tower and for two months my Acer monitor was working just fine.  Yesterday, after a Windows update notice {Win 10} the monitor went dark, powered off. I tried unplugging the monitor and turning off/on my PC, same results:  "No signal, VGI, DVI, HDMI,"  so I suspect it's the driver.  Every attempt to reset the monitor runs thru it's startup ops check: no signal, VGI, DVI, HDMI, etc. and powers off. 
    Are you saying there is an Acer H236HL driver out there on the Web for Win 10? Or, are you saying there is a driver from Win 7 and you have to "trick" Win 10 into acknowledging it?  How do I find it/load it and which version 32-bit?  Thanks for any help you can give!  Penny
  • tachmn
    Sorry for the delay, I did not receive a notice that this forum was updated.

I "tricked" Windows 10 into using the driver from the upgrade. There is no Windows 10 specific driver for the H236HL that I could find on Acer websites or elsewhere.

If your Windows 10 install is 64 bit, I can just send you the 4 files listed above.

But I think there are other problems. Does the monitor display during POST? But once Windows 10 boots it disappears?

If the monitor doesn't display during POST, there are other problems not driver related.

If the latter, have you tried booting Windows 10 into Safe Mode? Then maybe uninstall the monitor driver and reboot so Windows 10 will reinstall the Generic PinP driver.

You could consult the Oracle of Google to find forums to see how others have dealt with the problem you are seeing. I am on the latest (1803) update and up to date with fixes and have not had problems with a Dell Optiplex 990 MT. The H236HL is connected via the VGA connection.

• CycleA
    CycleA Member Posts: 1 New User
    Are you able to send me the listed files?
  • tachmn
    I should be able to.

But first, since my original post way back when, I discovered different behavior between W7 and W10 when it comes to monitor drivers.

With W7, a driver was found via Windows Update.

With W10 the Windows Update path did not work. If I went into Device Manager and updated the driver from there (Search automatically for updated driver software), a W10 driver was found. This has worked with older CCFL Acer monitors I have. But for some reason not with the much, much newer H236HL(!!!).

When I had Device Manager update from a location where the four files listed above were located, the driver update was successful on a system running Windows 10 1903 64 bit.

I now see that I can attach files here (why on earth didn't I notice this before???), so I attached a zip of those four files. For 64 bit Windows 10.

Give it try.

• tachmn
    Since Windows 7 is going Poof! next month, I went through the machinations I did above for the 64 bit driver on a system running Windows 7 32 bit to get the 32 bit driver .

In case there is someone out there actually running Windows 10 32 bit using an Acer H236HL monitor...