Dolby Home Theater/Dolby Digital Plus not working

MattSharp
MattSharp Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 18 in 2018 Archives

I upgraded to Windows 10 last night and I've been having problems with Dolby sound since then, I've reinstalled multiple times and followed all advice I've found on here, but my problems are currently:

• If I turn on Dolby Digital Plus in Sound > Playback > Properties > Dolby, after a song, or any audio has finished playing (goes idle) it will turn itself back off
  • Dolby Home Theater (with the equaliser, etc) doesn't work at all, the spectral visualiser at the top of the application remains blank all the time, turning it on and off or changing settings in it does nothing

I've tried lots of different methods to fix this, and I'm currently using the latest Realtek/Dolby sound driver from the acer support site (6.0.1.7040 for Windows 8.1). 

I'm using an Acer Aspire V3-571G, Windows 10 x64.

I'd be grateful of any support.

Best Answer

• MattSharp
    Answer ✓

Dolby Digital Plus has miraculously started working, though it looks very different to the last time I used it (it used to be a lot smaller and said Home Theater rather than Digital Plus) but its better than nothing.

Screenshot_1.jpg

Answers

• rosarito
    rosarito Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi,

I have the same problem here: Acer Aspire V-Nitro

Hope for a resolucion soon.

• MattSharp
    Answer ✓

Dolby Digital Plus has miraculously started working, though it looks very different to the last time I used it (it used to be a lot smaller and said Home Theater rather than Digital Plus) but its better than nothing.

Screenshot_1.jpg

• lion232
    lion232 Member Posts: 5 New User

I'm still having this problem. VN7-591G. Its very annoying because the audio is way too low when dolby is off and I have to keep turning it back on everytime I enter a new youtube video or run a game...

• mirekwrozek
    mirekwrozek Member Posts: 1 New User

@MattSharp where is correct driver v3 571g for windows 10? How to install dolby digital plus? I try the same driver - no result. 

• lion232

I'm using the windows 10 audio drivers from Acer by the way. The problem still persists.

You can find the drivers on Acer's support website. When you go there just look up your laptop's model and choose windows 10. They dont fix anything.

• danslb
    danslb Member Posts: 35 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

MattSharp ha escrito:

Screenshot_1.jpg

Hi,

DDP is not DHT, dolby provides a separate software for each and thats why it does not look the same.

I read on the net that DDP was not as good as DHT, but I don't know...

Anyway I´m on a V5-552G and I have had these problems before with a clean install of 8.1 and again this week with the upgrade to W10. Let me tell you what worked for me but before we begin just let me say that Dolby Home Theater has always given me problems and will sometimes just turn off and other times the icon in the taskbar would go away or just not respond. I´m hoping it's more consistant on W10 though I dont see why it would be.

The only driver that ever worked properly with Dolby was the driver for windows 8 (not 8.1). the new driver on the Acer site for winodws 10 did not work either. So the one I´m using and I´m listening music to with DHT while writing this is: Audio_Realtek_6.0.1.6878_W8x64_A

To get dolby to work:

1. Uninstall the current driver, and any software related to it (the dolby software)

2. restart

3. Install the driver for windows 8 (in my case it never installs dolby automatically, I´ll explain how to do it manually below)

4. Restart twice (yes, I always had to restart twice after the install otherwise manually installing dolby would not work and I got an error when trying to run the install)

5. In the driver folders you downloaded and unzipped go to the folder "PCEE4" and run "DolbyHomeTheater.msi"

6.If you dont get the "Install PCEE" error, restart and you should be able to enjoy dolby (when its not acting up). If you get the error then you may have not followed the instructions properly. Go back to step 1

Good luck guys 

• lion232

Update: Issue gone today. Dolby working properly. Still using same drivers. (Win 10 64-bit). How? I don't even know.

edit: I think turning off "Hey Cortana" fixed it for me.

• danslb

Yes I also noticed cortana had some sort of effect on Dolby functionality when I was using the win10 drivers.

But with the win8 drivers both things work well.

I think I´m rolling back to 8.1 while I still can since I´ve had 3 or 4 blue screen crashes already stating different error codes. I think I´ll wait unsil they sort stuff out first. Random crashes that make you lose work are nor acceptable. Win8.1 gave me no such trouble.

• juliojD
    juliojD Member Posts: 32 New User

danslb, ya no te entendi, en otro post decias que sin problemas, pero aqui dices que te regresas al 8.1 ,  que me aconsejas? cual windows estas usando??? ojala me digas, saludos!

• danslb
    Julio these are the English forums, either post the question in English or post it on the Spanish forum.
  • juliojD

y si aplico tu logica, que tiene que ver que te quieras regresar a w8.1? por que eso no lo publicas en otro post, bueno en uno dices que w10 es muy bueno y en otro te desdices... creo que es mejor no atender lo que publicas, gracias por los tips de todas maneras, prefiero dejar aqui la comunicacion por que odio ser tan cuadrado, gracias.

• danslb

juliojD ha escrito:

y si aplico tu logica, que tiene que ver que te quieras regresar a w8.1? por que eso no lo publicas en otro post, bueno en uno dices que w10 es muy bueno y en otro te desdices... creo que es mejor no atender lo que publicas, gracias por los tips de todas maneras, prefiero dejar aqui la comunicacion por que odio ser tan cuadrado, gracias.

Julio, con todo es respeto, no estás aplicando mi lógica porque lo de volver a w8.1 era un comentario mio, un añadido, y no era una pregunta nueva a la cual yo pedía ayuda en un hilo sobre un tema distinto que necesitaba solución. Espero que puedas ver la diferencia. Luego, la gente tiene derecho a cambiar de opinión no? Sobre todo durante el primer mes de usar un producto nuevo cuano es más lógico que uno vaya formando una idea. No es así? En todo caso yo no me desdigo y creo que has entendido mal, me explico: Yo decia que W10 era muy bueno en encontrar los drivers, no bueno en general. Y lo de volver atrás era por otros motivos (las pantallas azules). No se trata de ser cuadriculado hombre, que yo no lo soy tanto, pero dime tu que pintamos nosotros aquí teniendo ésta conversación en español en el foro de los americanos donde la mayoría no entiende jaja.

Julio espero que nis consejos te hayan ayudado, seguir los o no es elección tuya. Yo solo compartia de mis experiencias y mi tiempo con el objetivo de ayudar a los demas asi que mejor no me pongas a juicio por favor. Y zanjamos el tema por favor que no tiene nada que ver ni con dolby ni con equipos Acer Smiley Tongue

Que tengas un buen día!

• ale1301
    ale1301 Member Posts: 4 New User

Obrigada pela soluçao foi somente instalar o drive do windows 8 64 bits que voltou ao normal nem precisou apertar em pasta alguma so iniciei 2 vezes e voltou

• ElizabethS
    ElizabethS Member Posts: 845 Practitioner WiFi Icon

The Acer Community is a global peer to peer support forum where users share their experiences and expertise with Acer products.

Because of the multi-national nature of our community, we have asked that users post in English only, as that is the most common language to all users. By doing this, our members are more likely to get a response to their question, and those answers will be available to the entire community as a resource.

• mattbruschi
    mattbruschi Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello,

I have An Aspire Nitro V  VN7-591G, I am having the same issue both with win 10 and with win 8.1 after a clean install. Does Acer have any solution to this?

• danslb

mattbruschi ha escrito:

Hello,

I have An Aspire Nitro V  VN7-591G, I am having the same issue both with win 10 and with win 8.1 after a clean install. Does Acer have any solution to this?

Read my post from earlier in this thread, the solution is there.

• mattbruschi
    mattbruschi Member Posts: 2 New User
    Is it the one of installing windows 8 drivers?
  • danslb

mattbruschi wrote:
    Is it the one of installing windows 8 drivers?

Indeed

• juliojD

please help me with the step No.3 ... in a more detailed way plase... if you tell me how to do it , I will resolve my problem!

• PFeezzy
    PFeezzy Member Posts: 2 New User

I got DPP working by reinstalling the Realtek drivers using Windows 8 compatibility mode on the Reaktek setup executable.